Monday, June 25, 2007

Stormy weather aboard the Alaska ferry

Hello. When I posted this hastily one night in Juneau, at the Silverbow Inn, I didn't have time to add any detail, just throw up the pictures of a stormy trip. I was on my way back to Anchorage, Alaska after a year at Stanford reveling in a John S. Knight midcareer fellowship. All wonderful things do end. I remember one of my teachers saying: one day more, and the fellowship wouldn't be as great as it was. So, the 20 of us are all journeying back to where we came from.

As you can see below, we were plagued by stormy weather out of Bellingham, Washington. We were on the graceful old Columbia, a 35-year-old, very comfy vessel. We camped on the back deck under the solarium roof, which included some toasty heat lamps. We had a three-night journey up to Juneau. Lucky for us, we weren't tent-camping out on the backdeck of the ferry, which looked more like this:


After the storm, the weather improved dramatically!



And I made it home, safe and sound, reunited with my dog Clare who'd been staying with a friend and her dog for the year.

1 comment:

subarctic mama said...

Welcome back. It's good to know you're back in AK. Hello to Peter!